31 Jul 457 Visa Updates: Are You Affected?
As you may probably know, certain legislative changes to the 457-visa program have been introduced by the Australian Government in the last several months.
We have summarised below the most important provisions affecting new applicants and current 457-visa holders.
Changes affecting new 457-visa applicants
- The Department of Immigration have reviewed the Occupations List. The following occupations have been removed.
- Equipment Hire Manager; Fleet Manager; Picture Manager; Property Manager; Psychotherapist; Real Estate Agent Principal; Real Estate Agent; Real Estate Agent Representative; Ship’s Engineer, Ship’s Master; Ship’s Officer and University Tutor
- The list of eligible occupations affects:
- new applications lodged on or after 1 July 2017
- applications that were lodged prior to 1 July 2017 that have not yet been decided at 1 July 2017
Important: If your occupation was removed from the list, you now cannot be granted a 457 visa. Contact us now to discuss your Australian visa options.
- 457 visas are no longer granted for a period of 4 years. The visa validity period is now dependent on your occupation.
- Occupations on the ‘short list’ (STSOL) are granted for 2 years.
- Occupations on the ‘medium and long-term list’ (MLTSSL) are granted for 4 years.
- All applicants who lodge their 457 visa applications must now provide Police Clearance Certificates
English Language Requirements
- 457 visa applicants are no longer able to rely on English language exemptions based on their salary being over $96,400
For Current 457 holders: Pathway to Permanent Residence
- The classification of occupations affects your prospects for Permanent Residence
- Come 1 March 2018 for you to transition from a 457 to Permanent Residence via the Employer Nominated Scheme, your occupation MUST be on the ‘medium and long-term list’.
- If your occupation is on the ‘short list’ or is no longer on any list you MUST explore your Permanent Residence options NOW, before the 1 March 2018 changes take effect.
Phillip Silver and Associates provide assistance to applicants, sponsors and current 457-visa holders.
Please contact us for assistance on sponsoring an employee or applying for a visa.